The Yalecrest Neighborhood Council helps promote a safe and vibrant community in this historic neighborhood with its iconic architecture, tree-lined streets and parks. We act as a forum for residents to voice their opinions about issues vital to the community and to engage in activities, projects and causes that reflect Yalecrest’s vitality.
Urgent Issue: Miller Park
UPDATE: January 13, 2022 YNC public meeting with Salt Lake City Public Lands Department officials
– Read the meeting recap here or watch the meeting recording here
– View the presentation by Cooper Farr of Tracy Aviary
Several troubling issues have been discovered in the Miller Bird Refuge and Nature Park and we’re asking Yalecrest residents to voice their opinions in two ways: (1) through an online survey on this page (2) and/or during our next YNC meeting.
A document outlining these issues was sent to Salt Lake City officials on December 21, 2021, with the invitation to discuss them in a community forum at the January 13, 2022 YNC meeting at 7 p.m. via Zoom.
Among the concerns:
- The removal of hundreds, perhaps even 1,500+ or more trees from the park
- The failure to replant new trees or vegetation over an 8-year period
- Low or no water flow in the summer affected by a water rights dispute and adjudication
- Uncertainty about the health and vibrancy of the bird population
- A non-functioning or poorly maintained sprinkler and irrigation system
- Use of poisonous herbicides and chemicals not recommended for a bird refuge